Terrible news in the world of F1! the 3rd driver of the Marussia Virgin F1 team , Maria de Villota, was victim of a large crash yesterday morning while she was making aero tests in a straight line on the runway of Duxford in England! While she made her first tour timed, the F1 of Maria suddenly accelerated to finish its road embedded in the ramp of the Marussia truck used to transport the car. According to the latest information, Maria was aware at the time of the crash but suffered injuries in the face and head! She was transported to Addenbrooke hospital in Cambridge. her condition is stable but after surgeries , she lost her right eye ! We are expecting news shortly.
- Here is the 1st press release from the Marussia team:
"Since the arrival of Maria this morning about 10: 45 p.m., she received the best possible medical care in this hospital, which is the main centre of the region for the treatment of major trauma." Maria is aware and medical evaluations are underway. "The team in expected results before giving other information."
- And here's the second from today :
"Subsequent to yesterday's official statements from the Marussia F1 Team, the surgical team at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge embarked on a lengthy procedure to address the serious head and facial injuries sustained by Maria in the accident. The operation began yesterday afternoon and she was in theatre until this morning. Maria remains in a critical but stable condition.
Maria emerged from theatre at Addenbrooke's Hospital this morning after a lengthy operation to address the serious head and facial injuries she received in the accident at Duxford Airfield yesterday. We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving and her family would like to thank the Neurological and Plastics surgical teams. However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.
Maria's care and the wellbeing of her family remain our priority at this time. Her family are at the hospital and we are doing everything possible to support them. We ask for everyone's patience and understanding with regard to updates on Maria's condition. We will provide further information when it is appropriate to do so and with consideration for her family. In the meantime, we would all like to take this opportunity to praise the emergency services at Duxford Airfield, who were on stand-by yesterday, as is usual procedure for a Formula One test. With regard to the accident, we have embarked on a very comprehensive analysis of what happened and this work continues for the moment. Finally, we have been overwhelmed by messages of support for Maria, her family and the Team and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for those.
- here are the reactions and words of encouragement to Maria from others drivers :
* Jenson Button: "Terrible accident of María De Villota ! My thoughts go to Maria and her family at this difficult time"
* Daniel Riccardo: "put Maria in our hearts today following this accident in a test of F1, this morning".
* Carmen Jorda: "all my strength and my courage to Maria following her accident this morning.." "I hope that there is nothing serious"
* Carlos Sainz Jr: "all my strength and all my courage to Maria"
* Fernando Alonso: "I just came back at home and I discovered the accident of Maria." We called her family and we hope to have more information soon. courage champion !"